When the time capsule planted in 1920 behind the foundation stone in the old community centre was opened in September it contained a small brown bottle and a letter inside. The bottle was reluctant to give up its dry contents but eventually did. The opening was recorded in the October/November StAN and made reference to the letter and some of the names contained within. Click to read the transcribed letter The Christchurch City Council has transcribed the letter in full. Some of those names were men who played a prominent role in 19th century Christchurch and in the public library which replaced the Mutual Improvement Society’s building in Dover St,later to become the St Albans Community Centre.